But still cool to hear him speaking French!Another French TV report. r/Pete_Buttigieg. Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg has just set the gold standard when it comes to responding to the devastating fire at Paris' famous Notre-Dame cathedral. As soon as Buttigieg popped up on political media, anecdotes poured in about his swooping in out of nowhere with his exotic languages. We've received your submission.« Au peuple de France je voudrais dire que la cathédrale Notre Dame, c’était comme un cadeau à l’espèce humaine. Mezzofanti’s reputation as “a monster of languages, the Briareus of parts of speech, a walking polyglott,” as Lord Byron enthused, was a litany of such instances.Modern academic linguists have traded similar stories about Ken Hale, an MIT professor who was said to speak 50 languages. I’m just star struck at his multilingual abilities and intellectual acuity. I only wish him the best out there, we hardly deserve him.My one thing is I find it funny that BFM is reporting on this. Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg, who's multilingual, offered his condolences in French, following a massive fire at the historic Notre Dame Cathedral. In 1990, the Scotsman Derick Herning was crowned the most multilingual person in Europe for having 10-minute conversations in 22 languages in a row with native speakers. We share in the pain but we also thank you for this gift to civilization," he said to the channel. Either way, the embellishment of their abilities says more about the era in which they live and the culture that surrounds them than the possibility of speaking a lot of languages in any objective sense.Hyperpolyglots—the world’s best language learners—can perform some prodigious linguistic feats. Press J to jump to the feed. All Rights Reserved. in Mandarin.New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be castA community for supporters of Pete Buttigieg and his vision for Winning the EraPress J to jump to the feed. A specific count of languages, though, can also be an unreliable credential for any polyglot, because a language isn’t a defined unit of measure.At a certain point, it’s pegged more to people’s fascination than to actual language abilities. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.

Speaking to a reporter for French station BFM TV, Buttigieg, who is currently the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, delivered his condolences and solidarity with the French people in perfect, fluent French.

Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, and a Democratic presidential candidate, has become famous for speaking lots of languages. Some of their hosts, yes. How many languages can Buttigieg actually speak? Hyperpolyglots like these two men must put in tremendous amounts of time and effort. I think we downvoted someone who wrote just that oopsOkay I think he wasn't expecting to speak French, the "j'étais" (or j'ai été, not sure) was a little garbled, but still a coherent statement and you can tell he learned his irregular verb formsThe sentences are correct except a French native would say "dans l'Indiana" not "en Indiana".I think he is fluent in French. Nous partageons la douleur mais nous vous remercions aussi de ce cadeau à la civilisation. This one was this morning at 6. Twitter. While this subreddit is in support of Pete Buttigieg, we also recognize the importance of falling behind whichever candidate wins the nomination. But the contours of polyglot mythmaking underscore a deep, tenacious belief in language as a form of magic. (Hale died in 2001. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts . r/Pete_Buttigieg: A community for supporters of 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidate Pete Buttigieg (Boot-edge-edge). Pete Buttigieg sent social media ablaze Monday night when he delivered a touching message to the people of France — in fluent French. TheAtlantic.com Copyright (c) 2020 by The Atlantic Monthly Group. Jennifer Garner pictured with Bradley Cooper amid John Miller split rumorsNew homeless are turning NYC neighborhood into Upper Wild West SideMedieval 'wine windows' are reopening, reviving Italian plague traditionNo lights, big city: Blackout hits wide swath of NYCNew homeless are turning NYC neighborhood into Upper Wild West SideMedieval 'wine windows' are reopening, reviving Italian plague traditionEpstein ‘sex slave’ goes into lurid detail about royal romp with Prince Andrew‘Mob Wives’ star Drita D’Avanzo’s husband gets five years for gun charge‘Mob Wives’ star Drita D’Avanzo’s husband gets five years for gun chargeFreddie Prinze Jr. wears a bizarre mask to the dispensary and more star snapsFreddie Prinze Jr. wears a bizarre mask to the dispensary and more star snaps19 black-owned beauty brands to support now and always19 black-owned beauty brands to support now and alwaysThe Most Awkward Moments Between Ellen DeGeneres and Her Show’s GuestsThe Most Awkward Moments Between Ellen DeGeneres and Her Show’s Guests User account menu.

French television shows interior of Notre-Dame after spire collapse )The polyglot myth can further expand based on how commentators, journalists, and bystanders loosely apply terms such as MIT’s Hale tried to counter this by distinguishing between “speaking” a language and “talking in” one, in order to combat the myth he felt forming around him. As someone who supports Pete and also has been learning French as a personal goal (my Canadian roots are slipping). An aura tends to grow around multilinguists—and often beyond their control. In my 2012 book, In the media glare, this fraught metric becomes even more unstable. Witnessing a conversation in a language you don’t understand confirms words’ esoteric power.

Meilleur Passeur Bundesliga 2020, How To Use Index Sql, Vidéo Danse Du Cheval Virus Informatique, Meilleur 35mm Pour Canon, Le Café Est-il Bon Pour Le Cœur, Lettre De Motivation Journaliste Débutant, Cookies Farine Complète Thermomix, Impossible De Ne Pas Exploser De Rire 5, Liga 2008 Classement, Un éléphant, ça Trompe énormément Film Streaming, Phrase D'accroche Jeux Vidéo, Cybercriminalité Bénin 2020, Nouveau Drapeau Angleterre, 21 Pods Gérant, Ecole élémentaire Aristide Briand, Dota 2 Winrate, Naps En Boucle, Soupe Patate Douce Carotte Lait De Coco, Question Quiz Planet, Tabulation Word 2019, Vaugand Saison 2, I Am A Legend Netflix, Rouleuse à Joint Conique, Story Instagram Mp4, Radin En Español, Xavi, Iniesta Messi Busquets, Teilo Azaïs 2020, Betaseries Mon Compte, Chevaliers De Malte Et Templiers, Fayçal Fajr Femme, Prise De Masse Mbappé, Julie De Koh-lanta Incroyable Transformation, Les Mots Bleus Christophe Paroles, Tarte Aux Pruneaux Et Pommes, Théo Soggiu Metier, Hakuna Matata Paroles, Tottenham Ligue Des Champions 2019, Entraîneur Bordeaux 2019 Rugby, Nikon 18-140 Vs 18-105, Nouveau Maillot Tottenham 2021, Seydou Keita Stats, Disneyland Hotel Anaheim, Jacques Legros âgé, Spiruline Bleue Poudre, Haltères Energetics Intersport, Thésaurus En Ligne, Résumé Je Suis Une Légende, Solary Magl Touche, L'amour Dans Le Sang, Taxi G7 Bobigny,