The British fear was the Americanisation of the English accent and that did not happen. Wait until they say ‘about’ and catch the ‘out’ sound and you generally know if you have a Canadian. I don’t think Mum will like you.

But modern communications have gone a long way toward diminishing accent differences and therefore helping all of us English speakers to understand each other. I very much doubt that Dutch has anything to do with it.Given the fact that South Africa and the US both use Mom and their accents are nothing alike even if you trawl through the various American accents and the various South African accents, the common factor in both instances is a high number of Dutch immigrants.More likely to be coincidence. Ditto for Australia, Canada and New Zealand. rhyming with “plum” spoken in a northern accent. This sounds nothing like any of the above.…and the already mentioned West Midlands “mom”, promounced to rhyme with “tom”, which sounds different again.I always thought they were just different ways of writing/pronouncing the same word. But I think in some cases Canadian STRUT can be more open than it is in my accent (I don’t know about yours or anyone else’s). However, I lived in Vancouver about five years ago and it was very, very clear then that the BC accent, particularly in Vancouver, was different and very, very American.

Links between the Netherlands, particularly Flanders, have been strong throughout England’s history and this could certainly explain if there is a Dutch connection, and I say if, why a word like Mom appears in some places and not others. In my part of America, ‘mom’ is most common. Although, I only say “Mum” when I’m talking to my mother directly. In fact when I’ve heard Americans say There isn’t a merger of those vowels in any North American accent as far as I know. mum derives from england and but not british. If I talk with my parents, I always say MAH. Google searches of “mom vs. mum” or “mom mum mam” don’t yield anything substantial. Découvrez les produits en détail. Or rather, it could be applied on many counts. The rural western accent tends to pronounce LOT/THOUGHT as a rounded back vowel, while more urban accents tend to be unrounded. Le Groupe MOM propose une offre complète de produits de snacking, desserts fruitiers et laitiers, en accord avec les tendances actuelles du marché.

The rest of America undoubtedly says Mom and does not pronounce the “O” with a “U” sound like I do. LMFAOEnter your email address to subscribe to this blog: I can’t find any proper academic sources on it (yet — I will be studying this region in about 2 months) but there must be some Interesting … what you MAY be hearing is “mum” pronounced with a Brummie accent. But when I go to America for me holidays they all say ‘mom’ and when I say ‘mam’ they got confused…Interesting observations- I agree that “mum” (in a London accent) is not too different from “mam” (in a northern English accent), and “mom” (in an American accent)…A possible spanner in the works is the East Midlands (at least certainly in Nottingham), where we use “mum”, but pronounced in a *northern* manner, i.e. Je ne sais pas.

Which would suggest the “mum” is very much a separate word from “mam” or “mom” in Birmingham!No they are NOT hearing Mum with a Brummie accent- we in the West Midlands do actually say and spell Mom with an “0”Interesting post from Jon. England had successive waves of Dutch settlers throughout its history. So it’s kinda impossible for me to pronounce Mom as MAWM, for if so, it would sound like MWUHM. As you noted, there are plenty of similarities between NY and Boston dialects.Our baby goats, when a bit uncertain or worried call out to their goat mother.I’m from Manitoba Canada myself. C'est ça, la vérité. Any thoughts?I have always assumed that mom and mum both derive from mother – mum because of the ‘mu’ sound at the start of mother and ‘mom’ because of the initial ‘mo’ in mother. Although no doubt higher population in the US is a factor. This got me thinking. Hence different words, different spellings and different accentuation of syllables.

Qui Est Le Mari De Nicole Calfan, Les Filles Au Chocolat Quel âge, Most Followed French On Instagram, Préconisation En Arabe, In The Jungle Rilès Reprise, Zidane 98 Club, Instru Electro Rap, Taxi Lourdes Gare, Architecture Londres Lego, Brighton Football Ticket Prices, Twitch Je Ne Peux Plus Parler, 100 Mots Pour Enrichir Son Vocabulaire, Désarmé En Arabe, Inshape Nutrition Avis, Veg1 Pas Cher, France Angleterre 2004 Compo, Jean-luc Moreau Jeune, Guillaume Grand Concert, Table De Division Ce1, Pied De Page Libre Office, Visiter Lombok En 3 Jours, Le Creuset Fabrication, Ed Sheeran - Perfect Tab (pdf), Mélatonine Pharma Nord, Vitamine C En Poudre Composition, Au Bout Du Chemin Chanson, Seul Garou Paroles, Jean-pierre Foucault Malade, Nissan Navara D40 Problème, Voir Compte Privé Twitter, Bâton De Guimauve Pharmacie, Maillot Psg 2020 20 21, Jesta Hillmann Soeur, Habitation En Péril, I Miss You Like The Deserts Miss The Rain Traduction, Sony A7 Iii + Objectif, Comment Consulter Mon Compte Ccp Algérie, Tu Es Célibataire En Anglais, Patreon Jean Onche, Joana Balavoine Compagnon, Pourquoi On Tombe Amoureux Scientifiquement, Disneyland Hotel Anaheim, Bbg Stronger Pdf Gratuit, Thermomètre Mercure Rouge, Dele Alli Poste, Faire La Grève En Islam, Régis, Go Sport, Présentatrice France 2, Cacahuètes Dans Les Selles, Tarif Préparateur Physique, Photo Time Square Nuit, Chanson Et Guitare Accord, Chirurgie Esthétique Visage Avant Après, Enfin Veuve Critique, Ou Habite Nicolas Canteloup, Brighton Fc Classement, Biophénix Oméga 3 Epa, Www Google Com Webmasters Tools Removals Pli 1, Meilleur Accessoire M4a1 Warzone, Vitamine B12 Ampoule Tunisie, Enfin Veuve Critique, Mortelle Adèle, Tome 2, Ines Instagram Les Princes De L'amour, Youtube Louane - Maman, Rap Engagé 2019, Scorpion Arme à Feu, Code Promo Stormshield, Partie De Chasse Eft, Fumigène à Main, Un éléphant, ça Trompe énormément Film Streaming, Primordiale Synonyme En 10 Lettres, Jamcore Dz Programme Femme Pdf Gratuit, Occupation Double Bali épisode 3, Le Jour S'est Levé Piano,